Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From: Kaarel <kaarel(at)future(dot)ee>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying
Date: 2004-06-10 11:10:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
scott.marlowe wrote:

>I think that if we are going to benchmark the two, and I'm all for it, we
>should benchmark them running something fairly standard, like the OSDL
>tests.  And MySQL should be using innodb tables for everything, since
>postgresql pretty much always carries the load of running mvcc and write
>ahead logging and transactions for everything it does.

The other way, well not as good of course, would be to test PostgreSQL
fsync turned off against MySQL MyISAM. That wouldn't still be complitely
fair (unless there is a way to turn off implicit transactions of
PostgreSQL) though but the results could be of interest in comparing
PostgreSQL with default MySQL setup.

Kaarel