Re: pg_ctl start broken on windows

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_ctl start broken on windows
Date: 2004-06-09 18:07:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>>Yes, I assumed pg_ctl would have such issues. pg_dumpall has them as
>>>well calling pg_dump.
>>>
>>>Here is a strange idea that I am looking for someone to check. According
>>>to someone, Win32 system just strips off the first and last quotes, and
>>>that is why it is failing. Try adding a quote to the beginning and end
>>>of the system string, and leave the existing quote intact. That might
>>>fix is and if it does I can add this to CVS.
>>>

>>I'll test to make sure, but I can tell you now it won't work. It will
>>see the inner quotes and interpret them as part of the command. (I tried
>>all these variants when I was testing initdb).
>>

>Claudio reported it worked for pg_dumpall for single quotes:
>
> system(''cmd.exe' 'arg1' 'arg2'');
>
>What exactly is the logic of the stripping?
>
>In fact, pg_ctl is wrong because it is using double quotes instead of
>the safer single quotes. Let me make that change.

No. It chokes on forward slashes.

and it tries to make a log file called 'logfile' (quotes included).

I really don't see what the problem is with calling CreateProcess - it
should only be a few lines of code unless I'm much mistaken, and would
get us out of this setup that is really fragile at best.

cheers

andrew