Re: Official Freeze Date for 7.5: July 1st, 2004

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Official Freeze Date for 7.5: July 1st, 2004
Date: 2004-06-01 16:10:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Just so that everyone is aware, we are going to push the freeze date
> for 7.5 to July 1st.
>
> Although we feel that there are enough improvements and features
> already in place for 7.5, Tom's felt that if we gave it that extra
> month, we could also have PITR in place for 7.5 ...
>
> If anyone is working on other features that they feel can be polished
> off before the July 1st deadline, we would be most happy to
> incorporate those as well, but do recommend submitting patches for
> review *sooner*, rather then later, so that any recommended
> corrections can be addressed before teh deadline.

I welcome this, as I always thought June 1 was too soon. However, I
think that the process by which the date was eventually arrived at was
unfortunate.

I would modestly suggest that there should be a minimum period of notice
of a feature freeze - 6 weeks or 2 months seems about right to me, given
the development cycle we seem to have, and the fact that many of the
critical things people are working on are quite large.

(I'd also like to see someone who would get regular progress reports
from people who have undertaken to work on large/critical items, so that
we don't get into a position of thinking they will make a cutoff date
and then finding out late in the piece that they will not, but maybe
that's a discussion for another day).

cheers

andrew