SELECT * FROM <table> LIMIT 1; is really slow

From: David Blasby <dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SELECT * FROM <table> LIMIT 1; is really slow
Date: 2004-05-26 21:00:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have a table with about 16,000,000 rows in it.

When I do a:

SELECT * FROM <table> LIMIT 1;

it takes about 10 minutes (thats about how long it takes to do a full
sequential scan).

I had originally thought that there might be a large number of
"wasted/retired" tuples in the table so I "vacuum analysed" the
database. It had no effect. I had a "vacuum full" going on the table
for 17 hours before I killed it.

Any idea why its so slow? It used to be instant.

dave