Re: hello

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hello
Date: 2004-05-11 21:07:09
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Merlin Moncure wrote:

That's an awful lot of questions on wx specific stuff, you'd better go
to wxdev for such things.

>>Yes, copy/paste of rows from view data (and query tool as well) would
>>

>be
>

>>helpful and is one of the most often requested features.
>>

>Questions about wx toolkit:
>Does wxString have fast repeated concatenation for large strings (like
>STL string)?

Somehow, don't know if it's enough for your purpose.

>Does wxGrid have the capability to demand load row contents from an
>externally managed source?

pgadmin3 does so in view data, overload wxGridTable

>What format?  Usually in these situations I tend to use tab delimited
>for easy pasting into exc--er, open office :)

For the start, use the export options (I personally never use tabs but |
or ;).

>I took a quick look at the code and it seems very straightforward.

I did my best.

>Maybe I'll have a crack at this...
>

>WRT the query tool, I mostly use it like Andreas does.  But I also agree
>that there is not one universal data browser that can meet all the
>various requirements.  What has me concerned is that pgAdmin lacks the
>capability to provide editing on large tables, because of memory issues
>with the editor

Definitely not!

>and the lack of editing in the query tool.  I think this
>is a solvable problem :)

No, this is how pgadmin2 worked, and it's a mess. Use view data with
filter, it's much cleaner.

> with the ability to provide editing over
>infinite sets I think pgAdmin will become a first class data manager (or
>more so than it already is) :).

:-)

Regards,
Andreas