Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?
Date: 2004-04-24 08:44:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Stephan Szabo wrote:

>[ Tom, we know your opinion on the first part of the next paragraph, so
>you don't need to reply to that part. ;) ]
>
>Are we going to get rid of the current behavior entirely?

I doubt that will be a good idea. You want to let applications created
for previous versions of PostgreSQL continue to work. The idea, I think,
is to have either a DB wide, or a session wide, option to have it either
way. We may have to create a DB conversion tool, that converts a DB from
one way to the other (and changes the case of functions, along the way).

> If so, how are
>we going to handle issues like current databases with names like foo and
>"FOO" (and what if the name was given as "foo")?

I think these are really rare. The conversion tool can warn about these
cases.

> If not, when can one set
>the folding options and how do we (in the long term) make the database
>work properly in both settings.

I don't think having the same DB work in both folding options is really
a big issue. Having two databases on the same server, one this way and
one the other is, however. You don't want to install two database
servers, merely because you have two applications developed for two
different PG versions.

> Things like "don't worry about the catalog
>entries" don't fly when your standard functions are defined and
>looked up there.

Answer above.

>Depending on the answers to the above, we need to think about things like
>the transitional plans put forth. Do these plans actually help transition
>things.

I think they do. The idea is to be as complaining and as verbose during
transition as possible. Ideally, if some breakpoint can be triggered
each time a double lookup takes place (thus knowing that the client app
is calling the wrong way), this will allow converting apps in almost no
time at all.

> The fold up and down compare one then the other on a failure of
>the first may be fairly invasive changes,

In what way invasive?

> still has problems when quotes
>are used inconsistently

The main issue, as far as I'm concerned, is not with PG apps that need
to be ported to the new scheme. I don't have any qualm with never
deprecating the lowercase folding. This, of course, puts a burden on
utilities that work as infrastructure to always quote or always
not-quote (depending on exact semantics), but that, I believe, is solveable.

My problem is with applications written for other, more standard
complient, databases, and with porting these into PG. As such, if the
app uses inconsistent quoting, it today relies on uppercase folding, and
will not have any problem.

> and can also silently change behavior from old
>versions (on that database mentioned above, what does select * from foo
>do, is it the same as before?). These may or may not be huge issues and it
>may or may not be easily solvable, but these things need to be figured out
>IMHO before something can be considered a solution.

I agree. It's just that I don't think this is a big issue, given the
fact that I don't think we intend to deprecate the lowercase folding any
time soon.

Shachar

Remove advocacy from the CC. I don't think it's related there any more.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting