Re: Upgrading databases

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, markmapo(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: Upgrading databases
Date: 2009-11-14 18:48:29
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-interfaces
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> wrote:
> 3. Slony. Setup a slave database, get everything in sync, then switch over to the
> new database. Very minimal downtime (seconds to minutes). Requires all tables
> have primary keys.
>
> 4. Bucardo. Similar to the steps of Slony above. More forgiving of interruptions
> in the original replication event.

I've never done this process myself. I'm wondering how flexible Slony
and Bucardo are with the versions of Postgres they support.

Does the Slony version run on the new version have to match the Slony
version on the old one? Do old versions of Slony work on new versions
of Postgres? Or do you have to update the version of Slony on the old
database before you can move to a new database version because the new
database version requires a newer version of Slony?

I'm even less familiar with Bucardo but have the same questions there too.

--
greg