Re: Raw devices vs. Filesystems

From: Terry Hampton <thampton(at)limacorp(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <el_vigia_ec(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Raw devices vs. Filesystems
Date: 2004-03-29 17:21:13
Lists: pgsql-admin
	Hello  Jaime,

	I think you're on the right track but have gotten some
	concepts possibly confused.

	As I remember,   the original email asked if Postgres
	could be run in a "raw" mode.   Another submitter
	told us that it can not.   ( Did I read that correctly, everyone ? )

	This means run Postgress in a raw or character mode versus
	the "standard" block mode as you would handle other files
	in a filesystem.     The primary advantage for a raw mode
	is speed.  ORACLE allows this method of operation.

	So ... your last question is now rather moot.   For best
	performance assure your setup parameters and Linux
	kernel parameters are optimized.      Help with that
	is a few keystrokes from anywhere.

				Terry

--
Terry L. Hampton