Re: Fwd: Default pg_autovacuum config glitches

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: 225680(at)bugs(dot)debian(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Default pg_autovacuum config glitches
Date: 2004-03-27 03:26:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 16:08:49 +0100,
> Martin Pitt <martin(at)piware(dot)de> wrote:
>

>>A while ago we received the bug report below against pg_autovacuum.
>>Since it runs as a daemon, it should detach from its controlling
>>terminal by executing sth like
>>
>> int nullfd = open("/dev/null", O_RDWR);
>> dup2(nullfd, 0);
>> dup2(nullfd, 1);
>> dup2(nullfd, 2);
>> if (nullfd != 0 && nullfd != 1 && nullfd != 2)
>> close(nullfd);
>>
>>(taken from syslog-ng which does it properly).
>>

>That doesn't look like a good idea. This will prevent any logging to
>stdout or stderr.
>
>If you don't want that ability you can redirect the stdin, stdout and
>stderr yourself.

I have stayed quiet about this since I wanted to hear what others
thought of the above suggest fix. I took the detach code straight from
the postmaster daemonize function. Perhaps I didn't do something right
but that was the example I followed. Thoughts? Anyone else had this
problem?

BTW, I think this will be moon in 7.5 since it looks like pg_autovaccum
will be launched by the postmaster.

Matthew