Re: MySQL puts in special exclusion for PHP

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL puts in special exclusion for PHP
Date: 2004-03-20 16:25:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Richard Welty wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:06:54 +0800 Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
>
>> http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5173014.html?tag=nefd_top
>
> interestingly enough, this topic came up on the fedora list earlier
> today, and the redhat/fedora folks indicated that while it was progress,
> it didn't address all the issues that they had with the licensing change.

Zak Greant is also still working on a more general open source exemption
under the name FOSS. It is not clear to me yet how it will work at all
since IMHO as soon as something contains the MySQL libs (exemption or
not), this package could not be distributed under BSD for example any
more, a claim made earlier in that document. Otherwise one would develop
some open source indexing library, publishes it under the BSD license,
and includes the libmysql in a binary package. So everyone who needs the
libmysql in his commercial product simply adds the indexing package?

Jan