shutdown problems on win32

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: shutdown problems on win32
Date: 2004-03-17 05:42:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
I mentioned this a few days ago, but I have a little more information to
add.

The problem I reported was that I am having difficultly shutting down
the postmaster in the current win32 code base.  I start the postmaster
in a windows console and then am using ctrl-C to shut it down (is there
some other way to do this until the services code is added?).  What I am
seeing is that sometimes the postmaster doesn't respond to the ctrl-C
until much later.

The additional info I have is as follows:

1) startup the postmaster
2) ctrl-c it shuts down as expected

the case that doesn't work:

1) startup the postmaster
2) connect via psql
3) exit from psql
4) ctrl-c the postmaster it doesn't shutdown
5) connect via psql again (successfully)
6) exit psql
7) connect via psql again (this time connection will fail)
8) postmaster finally shutsdown

Here is what I have noticed that is strange:  when the postmaster starts
up I see three processes (the one postmaster process and two postgres
processes (stats collector processes I assume) which seems completely
normal.  However when I connect via psql I now see 5 processes, the one
postmaster and four postgres processes.  Whereas on linux I only see 4
(1 + 3).  Then when I exit psql only one of the two extra processes goes
away.  So after connecting via psql and exiting there is an extra
postgres process hanging around.  This doesn't happen on linux.  Is this
expected behavior?  Could this be contributing to my shutdown problems?

thanks,
--Barry

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Claudio NatoliDate: 2004-03-17 06:04:21