Re: win32 open patch for held unlink

From: "D(dot)J(dot) Heap" <djheap(at)dhiprovo(dot)com>
To: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: 'Bruce Momjian' <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 open patch for held unlink
Date: 2004-03-16 14:37:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32pgsql-patches
Claudio Natoli wrote:
>>Agreed, we still need dirmod.c in case someone has opened it using a
>
> non-unix mode.
>
> Ok. Wanted to make sure I was on the same page.
>

>>My only question was whether this new mode makes rename
>>possible on a target file opened by another backend.
>

> Looks good. Wrote a pair of 2 liner driver programs to test. Renaming fails
> when the file is open()'d, but proceeds correctly when win32_open()'d.

I've run into lots of trouble with 3rd party programs opening any files
that change on the system and locking them down.  For example, real-time
virus scanners, indexing software, and some builtin Win32 service that I
haven't pinpointed yet (it runs under a generic svchost.exe on XP).
These extremely annoying programs do not play nice and use
FILE_SHARE_DELETE, at least not in my experience.

There are large threads about this problem on the Subversion mailing
list (search for 'access denied') and some mentions of it on the CVSNT
mailing list, I believe.

Subversion ended up with a looping hack for Win32, at least until
something better is found.

DJ

whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify the system manager.

swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

www.mimesweeper.com