Re: initdb failing on win xp

From: David Mitchell <david(dot)mitchell(at)telogis(dot)com>
To: dave passudetti <dave(at)budonk(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb failing on win xp
Date: 2004-03-14 20:28:45
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
dave passudetti wrote:
> I installed ipc-daemon2 as an NT service successfully
>
> A problem came when I ran initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
>
> The following resulted:
>
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/share/postgresql/data... ok
> creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base... ok
> creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/global... ok
> creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
> creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
> selecting default max_connections... 10
> selecting default shared_buffers... 50
> creating configuration files... ok
> creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1...
> FATAL: coul
> d not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1081344, 03600).
>
> initdb: failed

This might sound silly, but did you remember to start the ipc-daemon
service? That is normally what this error is relating too.

--
David Mitchell
Software Engineer

NOTICE:
This message (including any attachments) contains CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION intended for a specific individual and purpose, and
is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the
taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.