using pgsql on my comp only without tcp

From: stm23 <STM23(at)student(dot)canterbury(dot)ac(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: using pgsql on my comp only without tcp
Date: 2004-03-09 23:47:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi, i am unable to setup my modem on my redhat 8.0 OS, so i don't think i can
get TCP access. is it possible to use pgsql entirely on my local computer
(i.e creating my own databases & manipulating them on my comp)?. what
variables do i need to alter to do so? i just want to be able to simulate the
labs for my 300 level uni course so i practice using databases. i am also
having difficulty finding my postgresql.conf file. i have my psql &
postmaster files in the following directories:

/usr/bin/psql
/usr/bin/postmaster

but i can't find any pgsql folder grouping pgsql stuff together.

thanx, sam