Re: PLSQL Question regarding multiple inserts

From: "V i s h a l Kashyap (at) [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]" <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
To: Humble Geek <humblegeek(at)rogers(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PLSQL Question regarding multiple inserts
Date: 2004-03-01 04:17:50
Lists: pgsql-sql
Dear Humble Geek ,

>-- id is primary key
>insert into users (id, username) values (nextval('someSeq'),'somename');
>-- id is also a PK
>insert into log (id, uid, message) values (nextval('someOtherSeq'),XXX,'New
>Assume XXX is the id from the first insert. How do I get that number? Not
>currval('someSeq') -  'cause someone else may have performed an insert
If  the insert and later on

currval('someSeq') is called inside the same function

currval will only return the current value that has been effected by the
first  insert  made.

Best Regards,
Vishal Kashyap
Director / Lead Developer,
Sai Hertz And Control Systems Pvt Ltd,
Jabber IM: vishalkashyap(at)jabber(dot)org
ICQ :      264360076
Yahoo  IM: mailforvishal(at)yahoo(dot)com
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire
universe, deserve your love and affection.
- Buddha
pgsql=# select marital_status from vishals_life;

Single not looking

1 Row(s) affected

                  ( 0_0 )