Re: Indexes generated for primary key are not show

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Constantin Stefanov <cstef(at)mail(dot)ru>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexes generated for primary key are not show
Date: 2004-02-08 18:51:31
Lists: pgadmin-support

Constantin Stefanov wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I have PgAdmin III 1.0.2 and PostgreSQL 7.4.1.
>When I create a table with primary key constraint on it, PostgreSQL
>automatically creates an index on that column (or columns), which is
>then shown in psql with \di command.
>But PgAdmin does not show that index in
>...Tables-> <table name> -> Indexes in the left frame.
>Sometimes it is useful to see all indexes on the table (for example,
>when trying to understand planner decisions), because planner makes use
>of those indexes.
>
>So I suggest PgAdmin to show all indexes (user and system-generated) or
>to have an option to show them all.

These indexes (primary and unique if defined by constraint) are filtered
out intentionally, but I see your point about the planner. Making them
display would be a little more complicated than it seems, because we
need to avoid having them duplicated in the table's definition pane
(once as constraint, once as index).

Regards,
Andreas