Re: Selects query inside function must read commited data

From: Andrew Biagioni <andrew(dot)biagioni(at)e-greek(dot)net>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selects query inside function must read commited data
Date: 2004-01-25 18:09:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

In the v7.3 docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/transaction-iso.html#XACT-READ-COMMITTED

/Read Committed/ is the default isolation level in PostgreSQL. When a
transaction runs on this isolation level, a SELECT query sees only data
committed before the query began; it never sees either uncommitted data
or changes committed during query execution by concurrent transactions.
(However, the SELECT does see the effects of previous updates executed
within its own transaction, even though they are not yet committed.) In
effect, a SELECT query sees a snapshot of the database as of the instant
that that query begins to run. Notice that two successive SELECTs can
see different data, even though they are within a single transaction, if
other transactions commit changes during execution of the first SELECT.

Andrew