Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix

From: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)snaga(dot)org>
Cc: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, jm(at)poure(dot)com,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix
Date: 2004-01-24 13:31:27
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
Satoshi,

The postgres, knoppix CD that I created last summer was compiled to work
with plpgsql, plperl(u), plpythonu, pltcl(u). It has ODBC and JDBC
drivers compiled into it too: I had some problems with Java initially
but overcame it after I tinkered with the ant startup script.

I recompiled the kernel to get the 'elephant' (does it have a name??)
icon rather than 'tux' in the frame buffer as it booted up, I also
changed the knoppix bootup background to that of a picture of a huge
looking elephant. The desktop was redesigned to offer full documentation
references using konquorer (html and pdf). The desktop also includes
links to pgadmin3 and pgaccess. A link was installed that would invoke
psql straight into the sample databases that I had included.

The trick to making postgres work on the CD was quite trivial, I edited
the init script to identify if it was reading itself off a CD
installation and subsequently copied the entire database cluster over to
the virtual drive. The postgres server also works after its been
committed to the PC harddrive too using the knoppix hdinstall script.

You will find a detailed article that I wrote on how to create a knoppix
CD at the orielly site,
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2003/11/20/knoppix.html . There
are also references made to it off the knoppix users site and the linux
show,
http://www2.thelinuxshow.com/archives/2003/upcoming-2003-11-25.html
among others. The article was rated by O'Reilly as among its top 5 for
the month of November.

The book's publishing date has been scheduled for late spring/early
summer so I had always planned to going back and updating the CD such as
maybe including pl/r.

It became apparent that a postgres CD would be quite useful at OSCON
since "No Starch Press" and O'Reilly have an existing business
relationship. Since I already write for O'Reilly I thought  would be
interesting to see if I could kill several birds with one stone.

regards

Robert