Re: Requirements for updated site

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai(at)wxs(dot)nl>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Requirements for updated site
Date: 2004-01-16 15:44:53
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi!

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>These were the issues I tried to address in my mock-up. And at least it
>>allows me to get overview of the whole site without need to scroll @
>>1024x768 (this is the most common resolution now).
>

> I run higher resolution on my desktop then laptop, and laptop is at home,
> but up/down scroll doesn't bother me, and on neither my laptop or desktop
> do I have to scroll left/right ... in fact, on my desktop at 1600x1200,
> the following sites all require me to still scroll up/down:

Scrolling itself is not the problem. The problem is *what* you see
without scrolling:

> http://www.mozilla.org
> - menu on left, 'sub menu' across the top right

Logo stands out, top-right main menu has a color different from
everything else, search box is available. Left column that needs
scrolling contains not navigation, but "features" and "news"

> http://www.kde.org
> - menu on both sides, 'sub menu' across the top right

Logo stands out, the most important menu items fit into the screen in
1024x768, mirror selection and search boxes are available.

> http://www.freebsd.org
> - menu on both sides, 'sub menu' across the top right

Wow. If it was done in postgresql.org colors, your eyes will be crossed
even more. Still, most important items are above the "fold", mirror
selection box is available, search box is present, but wa-a-ay down.

> http://www.gimp.org
> - menu on left side

Topmost news item: "WWW.GIMP.ORG will soon get a facelift! The current
design of this site was created more than five years ago. It looked good
at that time, but both the web and the GIMP have evolved since then."

> http://www.redhat.com
> - three frames down the middle, menu across the top

This is a company site, not a project, bear this in mind. Still: logo,
highly contrast main menu, search box. All the most important features
are above the "fold" in the main area.

> http://www.debian.org
> - menu on left side and across the top

Logo, highly contrast main menu, mirror selection and search boxes, most
important menu items are available at the top...

Two points:
1) kde, freebsd and debian are *bigger* than postgresql, so their
websites *may* have bigger navigation structures. Now, may I point you to:
http://www.mysql.com/
http://firebird.sf.net/
http://www.sapdb.org/
?..

2) In the current website you see the following at the top
a) What is... (leading to a page about PGDG)
b) Licence
c) Case studies
d) Contact the webmasters
e) Report a bug

Now, are these the most common questions/tasks users come to the site for?