Re: Backup database through web and php

From: Naomi Walker <nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: "Lau NH" <launh(at)perridot(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup database through web and php
Date: 2002-01-30 17:31:29
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-hackers
At 11:01 AM 1/29/02 +0800, Lau NH wrote:
>Hi all,
>    I am writing a php script to backup my postgres database through web
> interface, but my database is password required.  When I do a pg_dump at
> the linux shell prompt, it will prompt for password in order to backup
> the database, does anyone know how to pass this password with the pg_dump
> command together so that I can do it using php system call?

I was just reading up on this subject, and it suggests using PGPASSWORD in
the environment.  I have not tried that yet, but think all the passwords
must be the same.

It is sometimes unclear to me when challenged for a password, logged in as
postgres, whether or not they want the database password I am working on,
or postgres'.  So far, it appears to be asking for the postgres password.
--
Naomi Walker
Chief Information Officer