Re: Cluster feature: Start/stop archiving at runtime

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com, greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cluster feature: Start/stop archiving at runtime
Date: 2010-03-02 08:26:45
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> My interpretation of this paragraph is, if we set archive_command to
> empty string, PostgreSQL accumulates all WAL under pg_xlog. i.e. no
> WAL resuing occurs. Maybe set archive_command to /bin/true is enough
> for pgpool-II, but it needs to rewrite postgresql.conf by pgpool. That
> may make users to feel uncomfortable, I'm afraid.

I understood that what is needed here is the capability to start/stop
archiving without changing any configuration file. Instead of reloading
the conf file, what API do you want? Controlling archiving via system
catalog like pg_autovacuum (though it's obsolete) is sufficient?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center