docco on external storage?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: docco on external storage?
Date: 2003-11-03 17:53:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Perhaps I am missing something, but the documentation on external
storage appears remarkably sparse. It says it is better for substring
searches, but otherwise doesn't say very much.

I have a table with two modest-length bytea fields (around 9K and 2K
respectively) of already compressed data. I was looking for a clue as to
whether or not these should use external storage - I suspect they should
but I didn't see anything that gave me a definite answer.

I'd prepare doc updates on this if they were required but I don't have
the requisite knowledge, nor time right now to go trawling endlessly to
acquire it.

cheers

andrew

Next:From: Josh BerkusDate: 2003-11-03 18:44:46