Re: Press Release

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>,Postgresql Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Press Release
Date: 2003-10-30 00:08:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
>Nowhere do I read unmonitored 24/7/365 availability or ultra-fast always
>peak speed availability. 7.4 may have it's speed bumps but it will be
>responding to queries.
Not if it is a vacuum full and you are trying to do an insert. Which is
exactly what
I am talking about. Doing a vacuum full on a table that has had 5.7 million
inserts/updates/deletes during the last 23 hours is going to cause a rather
long vacuum full which in turn will cause a rather long period of
of the database.

I am not trying to push either way here at this point but I do think it
is important
that we are honest about the realities otherwise we end up looking like that
other open source database.

Joshua Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com -
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org -