connection dropping

From: bill <billmac333(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: connection dropping
Date: 2003-10-16 16:04:38
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,
I love pgAdmin III. I use it when working at home. I'm stuck with II at
work since my machine is W98, although it (II)has a feature I prefer
over III. Anyway, here on the homefront, I'm connected via high-speed
cable connection (1.5 meg). I get excellent performance, however, I find
that pgAdmin drops the DB connection rather quickly if there is no
activity. If I leave the interface for any amount of time, when I come
back and click on anything, I get the error message:
"An error has occurred:

This probably means the server terminated abnormally before of while
processing the request."

After this I usually have to click through many dialog boxes telling me
that there is no connection to the server.

If I look at the process list in the DB server, I can see all the
connections I have made over a period just sitting there 'idle'.
There is nothing in the log that corresponds with the drop that I can
tell except with the possibility of:
LOG: pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: Connection reset by peer
,but these may be from other clients.

What can I do to maintain the connection even if its idle?
Thanks,
Bill