Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests - Solution

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "Mark A(dot) Taff" <marktaff(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests - Solution
Date: 2003-09-27 10:18:42
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgadmin-support
Mark A. Taff wrote:

>So then, on a default SuSE 8.2/KDE (with a full gnome install as well), and
>running pgadmin3 under KDE:
>
>Add the lines Raphael suggested (below) to the file `etc/X11/gtk2rc-keramik`,
>then restart pgadmin3.  This will adjust the font & font size pgadmin3 uses.
>Note that only arial 7 works well.

That's strange, on my system it's about 10-11pt.

>Other fonts and/or larger sizes cut off
>controls.  I also installed 100dpi fonts, and changed gnome's default to
>render fonts at 120 dpi, as this minimized the differrence in rendering fonts
>between the desktops.
>The other problem, namely fonts and/or controls on the forms being cropped is
>due to the xml-based *.xrc files that pgadmin uses to create the
>dialogs/forms.  The problem is they are designed to be static.  This is fine
>if they are only used for one language and one font size combination.
>
>This is likely, IMHO, the reason why the pgadmin3 team made distinct forms for
>every language supported by pgadmin3.

??? We don't have distinct forms, there's only one design for any dialog.

>  However, this only solves half the
>problem.  If you need or want to use a font/fontsize that renders larger than
>arial 7-8 does, then text and controls will be clipped.  For example, arial
>10 makes pgadmin3 completely unusable on my setup.
>
>IMHO, these xrc files should be using "sizers" to ensure suitable form
>rendering at various fonts/font sizes (and maybe among various languages as
>well).

*NO*.
This destroys dialog design, remaining is merely a control collection.
Sizings have been selected deliberately, and I'm not willing to let this
to some arbitrary OS behaviour.
What I'd like is automatic *metrics* resizing, i.e. recalculating
dialogs according to font properties. This is not to be done in the XRC
files, but by wxWindows when loading the XRC files. This would mean,
that e.g. a text control, now 200x20 pixel and capable for 32 characters
at std font, will be resized according to the font, to still be
32char-capable, not more, not less, but sized e.g. 400x40 for a
double-sized font.

Regards,
Andreas