Re: ODBC Open cursors on views

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Open cursors on views
Date: 2003-08-18 10:11:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Quoting Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>:
>
> > Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > When trying to open a bidirectional cursor on a query that uses a view
> > in the
> > > from (i.e. - select * from "viewname"), the odbc driver returns an
> > error
> > > "Attribute ctid not found". The problem does not happen when I open a
> > forward
> > > only cursor.
> >
> > Is the bidirectional cursor read-only ?
> >
> I tried it both ways - neither worked.

The static read-only cursor on views works here.

> This is a company I'm helping to add a backend to postgresql (they currently
> support Oracle, MSsql and Access). They occasionally also do updates on views
> (rare), so I guess that would come at some stage as well.

Updatable cursors in psqlodbc needs CTID and OID columns.
If you create views with CTID and OID columns, you would
probably get updatable bidirectinal cursors on the views.

CREATE VIEW a_view as select ctid, oid, ...

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
http://www.geocities.jp/inocchichichi/psqlodbc/