Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: claus <ch(at)greenmail(dot)ch>
Cc: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III
Date: 2003-08-15 15:56:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

claus wrote:

>Is there still some hope :-))
>
>Adam H. Pendleton wrote:
>

>>I assume when you say that sorting the rows would require a re-query,
>>you are referring to a new SQL statement with a "ORDER BY" clause. I
>>think what he's asking for is perfectly do-able without a new query.
>>Since the rows are stored in a grid control of some sort, then you
>>should be able to sort the rows using the function of that grid control
>>itself. This sort would have *no* impact on the actual data, where it
>>is in the database, etc. I would imagine that this sort of this would
>>be possible only if the wxWindows control used to display the data
>>supported it. I will do some reasearch and see if it can be done.
>>

>That is when I said that data is around in some form.
>I just tested a table with 13000 entries ...
>after "refreshing" it **realy** seems to me all data is on my PC.
>When scrolling there is absolutely **no** freeze, flicker or
>other indication of data being fetched in a lazy way.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliments. It proves that I implemented it
smoothly. You might notice a delay it when you're connected to the
server over a slow line.

Look at the code if you don't believe that data is really loaded on
demand. Every time a row is touched that's not in the cache
(!line->cols), sqlTable::GetValue will consult the Dataset for the
column values of that row.

>Also the sliders of the grid indicate perfectly where are in the
>data ... ok that might be done using a "total row count" value.

Fortunately libpq supplies this value. sliders that don't represent the
position are a Mega-PITA, degrading the slider to a "next page" button.
I'd never code stuff like that.

>For those who worked with tools doing on demand row fetch.
>(I think Delphi 3 Datamanger and Free Toad for Oracle)
>they know what I mean.

Poor software all over the world....

Regards,
Andreas