Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III
Date: 2003-08-15 15:46:09
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Adam H. Pendleton wrote:

> I assume when you say that sorting the rows would require a re-query,
> you are referring to a new SQL statement with a "ORDER BY" clause. I
> think what he's asking for is perfectly do-able without a new query.
> Since the rows are stored in a grid control of some sort, then you
> should be able to sort the rows using the function of that grid
> control itself. This sort would have *no* impact on the actual data,
> where it is in the database, etc. I would imagine that this sort of
> this would be possible only if the wxWindows control used to display
> the data supported it. I will do some reasearch and see if it can be
> done.

Adam,
this is a waste of time. DATA IS NOT COMPLETELY ON THE CLIENT, as I
stated earlier. The grid doesn't have a chance to sort unless all data
is loaded, but it's just the special feature that data is *not* loaded
completely!

> Andreas is right about this one. Ctrl-A (select all text) is only
> going to work if wxWindows supports it. Really it should be a
> function of the control/widget that the text boxes are natively
> implemented in (comctrl32.dll on win), so I see no reason that it
> shouldn't work. Again, I will do some reasearch and see what I can
> dig up.

Other libraries don't implement this either. You'd have another problem:
Which key code is going to be "Select all"? Is it the one that seems to
be used more or less widely on the platform, Apple-A/Ctrl-A/Alt-A, or
the one that many editors use, including the embedded Scintilla which
implements a complete set of keyboard shortcuts? I doubt that the wx
people would accept any of both solutions.

Regards,
Andreas