Re: Fwd: Re: enabling postgresql by default

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chris Smith <csmith(at)squiz(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: enabling postgresql by default
Date: 2003-06-24 15:37:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 24 Jun 2003 at 11:22, Robert Treat wrote:
> imo sqlite is a "step back" from mysql as far as capabilities go; i
> think many of their users would rather have a "step forward", and
> postgresql can offer that.

Well, let's look from other direction. If php chooses sqllite, lot of people
are going to crib for loss of mysql, which is not good for php community.

Postgresql would not enjoy overnight popularity because mysql to postgresql
will not be a drop-in switch.

So somebody, sane and neutral enough in php community need to hammer this point
that it is in there beneft to switch to postgresql.

Let's not push it too much. If it doesn't happen, we don't have much to lose
but they do have. Let's make a point and move aside. If they think forward,
they will consider.

Just my opinion. I know that in any kind of marketing, it does not work that
way. But I believe unless both side see the value, no point pushing it.

Just a thought..

Bye
Shridhar

--
Rocky's Lemma of Innovation Prevention: Unless the results are known in
advance, funding agencies will reject the proposal.