Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Ben Clewett <B(dot)Clewett(at)roadrunner(dot)uk(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.
Date: 2003-02-14 23:26:43
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Ben Clewett wrote:
> Stand alone PostgrSQL.
>
> How hard would it be to make PostgreSQL stand-alone without cgywin?  And
> if not, if there a sort of minumim configuration of .dll's which could
> be used to build, say, an InstallShield which got the product up and
> running?

Well, PostgreSQL 7.4 is going to natively support Windows, so we won't
need cygwin there.  Something of interest that turned up when doing the
initial "Proof of Concept" PostgreSQL+Cygwin installer the other day was
that PostgreSQL relies on a lot of unix tools just to do basic things.

For example, to initialise the database with 'initdb' PostgreSQL
requires (from memory) grep, sed, and one other (can't remember the name
of it).

When we're no longer using cygwin, we're definitely going to need to
figure out how to either replace these tools, or use non-cygwin versions
of them.

> As well, if anybody knows, how the development of the stand-alone NT
> version of PostgreSQL is progressing?

Do you mean the "Proof of Concept" installer from the other day?  At
present I'm finishing up a holiday, so haven't had a chance to work on
it further.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Thanks