Re: [mail] Re: Big 7.4 items - Replication

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Darren Johnson <darren(at)up(dot)hrcoxmail(dot)com>
Cc: Al Sutton <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Big 7.4 items - Replication
Date: 2002-12-16 03:40:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Darren Johnson wrote:

> The group communication system doesn't just run on one system.  For
> postgres-r using spread

The reason why group communication software is used is simply because
this software is designed with two goals in mind:

1) optimize bandwidth usage

2) make many-to-many communication easy

Number one is done by utilizing things like multicasting where
available.

Number two is done by using global scoped queues.

I add this only to avoid reading that pushing some PITR log snippets via
FTP or worse over a network would do the same. It did not in the past,
it does not do right now and it will not do in the future.

Jan