Re: Good/Bad RAID and SCSI controllers?

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Good/Bad RAID and SCSI controllers?
Date: 2002-12-12 07:13:02
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 11 Dec 2002 at 15:34, scott.marlowe wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Advansys UW SCSI controller: Brain damaged.  Won't let standard Seagate Cheetah 10k RPM drives operating at all without
> > having SCSI Disconnection turned off, and speed is forced to a maximum throughput of 6MB/s.  100% not recommended.
> >
> > Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 controller, BIOS version 3.10.0: Seems nice.  Everything works well, most stuff is automatically
> > configured, supported by just about everything.  Haven't done throughput benchmarks though.
>
> I'll throw a vote in behind the SymBIOS / LSI logic cards.  They are quite
> stable and reliable, and generally faster than most other cards.  I've got
> an UW symbios card at home I'll have to truck into work to play with so I
> can compare it to my Adaptecs here.
>
> I picked it up on Ebay (the symbios card) for $30, and it had a network
> interface on it too, but the guy didn't know what kind it was.  Turned out
> to be gig ethernet interface with the yellowfin chipset.  not a bad deal,
> when you think about it.  poor thing gets to run my scanner, a tape drive,
> and an old Plextor 12 Plex CDROM drive.  I'd like to hook up something
> with the gigabit nic someday while it's still considered somewhat fast.
> :-)

Right now page on techdocs is pretty thin on such details. I suggest these
authors to put this information(barring humour etc. Just experiences) on that
document.

Secondly I see my name there as contributor but I do not recall any
contribution. Anyway since I would like to have my name there, I will put some
info there as well.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Rules for driving in New York:	(1) Anything done while honking your horn is
legal.	(2) You may park anywhere if you turn your four-way flashers on.	(3) A