Re: PDF docs

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>,pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PDF docs
Date: 2002-12-02 15:33:19
Lists: pgsql-docs
>>>Who generated the PDF docs for 7.2?  Remember how it was done?  Is
>>>there a script somewhere for it?
>>Thomas has always done that in the past.  There is some basic info
>>about it in the docs:
>>http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/doc-build.html
>>(see B.3.3), but I got the impression that he always did a great deal
>>of manual tweaking in the process.

The amount of tweaking went way down in the last couple of releases
since I identified the misformed but easily fixed rtf (in the opinion of
ApplixWare) generated by OpenJade. Look at doc/src/sgml/fixrtf for a
little utility to do that. OpenOffice seems to be happy with the rtf,
though I can't remember if I applied "fixrtf" first.

However, I did not generate documents for 7.2. Folks seemed to have
concluded that it was not a useful feature and were not willing to
accomodate it in the release process, so I stopped doing that.

Peter E. generated documents automatically for 7.2 (using tex rather
than rtf->word processor->ps) and it has the deficiencies noted below as
one would expect since they are well known issues to the OpenJade community.

The "manual tweaking" is a requirement for high-quality docs no matter
what path you choose; hopefully someone will realize that and decide to
put in some work.