Re: Lotus Domino Server/Enterprise Connection Services

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lotus Domino Server/Enterprise Connection Services
Date: 2002-10-07 21:18:17
Lists: pgsql-odbc
I wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Has anyone successfully configured Lotus Domino Server R6 beta to
> correctly connect to PostgreSQL via ODBC and the Enterprise Connection
> Services interface?

and

> However, the R6 server returns garbage instead of legitimate
> data. I suspect the server may be anticipating UCS-2 data, although I
> didn't have enough time to play around with his configuration.

I've compared the SQL trace log of Lotus Domino Server accessing
a Microsoft Access database using DECS/ODBC vs. accessing a
PostgreSQL database using DECS/ODBC. The main difference which
is prohibiting Lotus Domino Server from connecting to a
PostgreSQL database is the data type of the meta data.

When Domino Server examines data using the Access ODBC driver,
it calls SQLTables() followed by SQLDescribeCol().
SQLDescribeCol() returns a value of 12 (SQL_VARCHAR) for the
data type of the metadata (like table names or column names),
whereas the PostgreSQL driver is returing a -1 (Who knows?) for
the data type. This screws up Domino Server, since it doesn't
know the data type of an ODBC meta data column like
"TABLE_OWNER" or "TABLE_NAME".

All I did to get Domino Server to work correctly with PostgreSQL
is add the line:

if ((*pfSqlType) == -1) (*pfSqlType) = SQL_VARCHAR;

in results.c right after pgtype_to_concise_type() is called. I
know it's a hack, but I thought whoever is maintaining the
driver would like to know.

Comments?

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com