Securing sensitive information

From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Securing sensitive information
Date: 2002-08-29 11:42:05
Lists: pgsql-general

I've scoured the web and can't seem to find any definitive on how to
secure sensitive information in a DB, postgresQL in particular.

Most suggestions rely upon encrypting the data. This is all fine and
well except for the one nagging question I keep having: how do you
protect the password that is needed to decrypt the data? Maybe I'm
missing something?

Can anyone recommend any good web documents on how to secure sensitive
information?

Jc