directional marks

From: nngodinh(at)tiscali(dot)it
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: directional marks
Date: 2002-09-16 12:46:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

I've found some problems to handle the directional marks (i.e. for arabic
charset in UNICODE 0x200e and 0x200f). As I've exported the db from Microsoft
SQL 7.0 there were so many directional marks even inside words (i.e. "foo"
-> "f(200e)oo"). This probably is due to an external program which was used
to fill the db with values.

Directional marks are not shown in the client browser but for PostgreSQL
is a character. This is a problem when I try to SELECT the db:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = "foo";

If in "table" there is a record which contais "foo" as value for "field",
but it has a directional mark in it (i.e.: "f(200e)oo"), I can't get any
result.

The only way to fix the problem is to remove any directional mark occurrence,
or to make PostgreSQL ignore that kind of characters during UNICODE queries.

What do you think about it?
Thx.

---
Nhan NGO DINH

Tiscali Ricaricasa
la prima prepagata per navigare in Internet a meno di un'urbana e
risparmiare su tutte le tue telefonate. Acquistala on line e non avrai
nessun costo di attivazione né di ricarica!
http://ricaricasaonline.tiscali.it/