Re: pgaccess - registration before download

From: Harry Forster <hforster(at)strato(dot)net>
To: Iavor Raytchev <iavor(dot)raytchev(at)verysmall(dot)org>
Cc: pgaccess - developers <developers(at)pgaccess(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgaccess - registration before download
Date: 2002-07-17 03:26:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

This is the first time that I have responded to this list after years of
lurking. I have purchased three PostgresQL books but as yet have not
developed an application for it. I will in the future.

Over the past decade I have become a complete convert to open source or
free software. I will never again use proprietary software. I am one
of those hidden statistics in the O'Reily report "The Strange Case of
the Disappearing Open Source Vendors"
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/06/28/vendor.html.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/06/28/vendor.html>
I believe that open source is going to a more mature level. The focus
on tools has provided people like me the oportunity that was never
available in the propietary markets. We must find ways to reward and
perpetuate the social system that has given us so much. To do this it
is important to understand this user market, which we can only do by
gathering information.

We should collect some information and it should be analyzed so that we
can provide a better future. The problem is what to collect, how to
analyze, and why. This may not be the place to discuss this but we
should do it.

I thank the open source community for giving me my life back. All of
you are impressive human beings.

Harry