Re: Wish List: Client access to NUMERIC/DECIMAL type functions

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Warren W(dot) Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg(at)cogeco(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Wish List: Client access to NUMERIC/DECIMAL type functions
Date: 2002-07-12 13:38:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
"Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" wrote:

> It would be nice to see client side access to the decimal
> routines used by PostgreSQL to support the decimal/numeric
> data types. Are there any plans for that to happen?

If you mean to make the arbitrary precision arithmetic available inside
of the libpq, no there are no such plans.

The functions, which you can find in src/backend/utils/adt/numeric.c,
are designed and optimized to live inside of the PostgreSQL database
backend. There are several other arbitrary precision packages out in the
world, that fit alot better into client applications.

Jan