Re: DBI, savepoints, transactions, and AutoCommit

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal(at)usa(dot)net>
To: felix(at)crowfix(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBI, savepoints, transactions, and AutoCommit
Date: 2011-11-02 22:05:56
Lists: pgsql-novice
--As of November 2, 2011 1:14:40 PM -0700, felix(at)crowfix(dot)com is alleged to
have said:

> I understand the concepts of savepoints, and I have played with them
> in psql enough to understand that yes, as the fine manual says, they
> must be inside a transaction to work.  But how does this relate to DBI
> and DBD::Pg with AutoCommit off?  I learned the slow way that if
> AutoCommit is disabled, you don't issue a BEGIN WORK because that
> looks like trying to start a transaction inside a transaction.  But I
> I have AutoCommit off and try SAVEPOINT xyzzy, it tells me savepoints
> must be inside a transaction.  And of course, I can't get inside a
> transaction because I can't issue a BEGIN WORK because I am already
> inside a transaction.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Sounds like you are doing things right.  What versions of the following are
you using?
DBI
DBD::Pg
Postgres

Also, do you have any example code that shows the problem?

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.