Re: pg_hba.conf confusion

From: "David M(dot) Kaplan" <dmkaplan(at)ucdavis(dot)edu>
To: Reinhard Max <max(at)suse(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf confusion
Date: 2002-06-18 16:28:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Thanks, that did fix that problem.  Now I have another one.  The line:

host    all    password

matches all ip addresses of the form 192.168.1.x.  If I change the mask
to it no longer matches all addresses.  Although this
fixes the problem, it seems strange to me that it works this way.
 Basically, if mask is something other than, you might
as well put 0's in your id address.  This doesnt seem to be how subnet
masks normally work and it seems redundant to me.

Is there something I don't understand?