Re: JAVA vs PERL : PERL wins to postgreSQL

From: andy <andy(at)exkom(dot)co(dot)za>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JAVA vs PERL : PERL wins to postgreSQL
Date: 2001-09-04 13:50:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

To all those who responded ,
Thanks for your response,

I have attached the test programs that I used in the form of text files. The
contents should be self evident. Please have a look and comment.

I used j2sdk1.3.1 down load to linux machine from sun.com as my java platform
and
And perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-linux.
The PostgreSQL driver for perl came from www.perl.org
The postgreSQL driver in jdbc7.0-1.2.jar

Barry Lind wrote:

> Andy,
>
> I would be interesting in knowing what version you did this test on,
> what platform, and most importantly which JDK (and if the Sun JDK which
> JVM: classic, hotspot client, hotspot server).
>
> thanks,
> --Barry
>
> andy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I ran a few bench marks on JAVA writing to a postgreSQL table using and
> > found that for the same number of records added to the table as a
> > similar PERL routine the following results :
> > PERL 39 seconds : JAVA 45 Seconds.
> > In a similar experiment where PERL and JAVA did treir output to the
> > screen and not to a table,
> >
> > JAVA took 3 seconds and PERL 310 Seconds.
> > My conclusion is that the database driver to postgreSQL is still far
> > from efficient in the JAVA implementation.
> >
> > Both tests were run on the same computer.
> >
> > I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.
> > Andy Sewell

Attachment Content-Type Size
lp.java text/plain 902 bytes
lp.pl application/x-perl 322 bytes