Re: problems transfering databases

From: Miroslav Koncar <miroslav(dot)koncar(at)etk(dot)ericsson(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems transfering databases
Date: 2001-08-23 08:18:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

Hello Tom,

thanks for the answer. This is the procedure, how we tried to transfer the
data from one machine to another.
My collegue has used the pg_dumpall command, in the following way:

pg_dumpall > backups/2001-06-04db.out

Since it is a simple test database, the 2001-06-04db.out file was around
40kB, so he has sent it to me via email.
I tried to load the data from the file in two different ways:

psql -f 2001-08-21db.out
cat 2001-06-04db.out | psql

but got the error like stated before. I've tried to do this on Solaris and
Linux (I've set postgreSQL up on my Linux box for testing purposes), but
the same error pops up.

Could it have something to do with the versions of the databases, and how
it was installed? The version I use is
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.1.2 (the output of psql -V command), but I'm not sure
what version did my collegue use (I'll find that out, but I think it is
7.x.x).

Regards,
Miroslav

--