Re: ADO and ODBC: More

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: NTB Technical Support <techsupport(at)ntb(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ADO and ODBC: More
Date: 2001-07-06 00:20:52
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:

> "NTB Technical Support" <techsupport(at)ntb(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
> >> I'd write it off as broken code in ADO, and program around it by not
> >> using column names that require quoting.  Ugly answer, but it's not
> >> clear that you have an alternative (short of waiting for an ADO fix).
>
> > I just don't fancy modifying all those hundreds of pages of
> > code... And it works with SQL Server, so that would have to be broken
> > in a compatible fashion!
>
> It does eh?  Hmm, that suggests that there is *some* way to make the
> right thing happen.  Anyone know how Microsoft's version of
> SQLColAttributes acts with such names?

ADO doesn't need ODBC essentially and M$ SQL Server has
its own OLE DB provider. PostgreSQL doesn't have its OLE
DB provider implementation yet and has to use M$ OLD DB
provider for ODBC.
I don't know why the table name is quoted but the column
names aren't. There are many applications which quote
column/table names properly(unconditionally?). So it seems
very hard to change SQLxxxx.
Another way is to implement driver cursors. Actually I plan
to implement static/keyset-driven cursors. However I'm not
sure I can do it and couldn't guarantee when it is ready.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue