Using Explain

From: "P(dot) Dwayne Miller" <dmiller(at)espgroup(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using Explain
Date: 2001-07-05 15:22:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

After porting a database from FoxPro to PostgreSQL, one of the basic
queries that is used throughout the application now takes ~ 4 secs to
run, where it took ~ 40 usecs to run in FoxPro. I've been trying to use
EXPLAIN to give me optimization hints, but I'm not sure what I'm looking
at. Any places to look that might explain the results of explain?

Tks