Re: Re: Buffer access rules, and a probable bug

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Buffer access rules, and a probable bug
Date: 2001-07-04 23:43:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > As for HeapTupleSatisfies() there seems to be another choise to
> > let HeapTupleSatisfiesAny() be equivalent to HeapTupleSatisfiesNow()
> > other than always returning true.
>
> Wouldn't that break the other uses of SnapshotAny?

In theory no because HeapTupleSatisfies...() only touches
hint bits. What I mean is to implement a new function
HeapTupleSatisfiesAny() as

bool
HeapTupleSatisfiesAny(HeapTupleHeader tuple)
{
	HeapTupleSatisfiesNow(tuple);
	return true;
}
.

> I'm not sure
> it's what nbtree.c wants, either, because then the heap_getnext
> call wouldn't return recently-dead tuples at all.

nbtree.c has to see all(including dead) tuples and judge
if the tuples are alive, dead or removable via unified
time qualification.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue