Re: Function Inheritance?

From: Mark Butler <butlerm(at)middle(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function Inheritance?
Date: 2001-04-13 17:35:23
Lists: pgsql-docs

[Re: Tom Lane's explanation of function inheritance]

That is a really nice capability. However, the statement is somewhat
confusing because this is a matter of parameter type promotion rather than
member/method function inheritance, which is what I thought was being referred
to.

I suggest something like the following:

"In Postgres, each created table automatically defines a new row object type
in an inheritance hierarchy. Postgres automatically allows a descendant table
row object to be used anywhere a parent table row object is called for. This
means that functions declared to accept row objects from a parent table
automatically accept row objects from all of its descendant tables as well."

Is that an improvement? I believe the SQL3 people were wrestling with similar
nomenclature issues once upon a time...

- Mark Butler