Re: extremely newbie questions

From: Nicholas Chan <yumin(at)pl(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: Postgresql Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: extremely newbie questions
Date: 2001-01-22 17:39:32
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Again, thanks for your reply!

> You can compile PostgreSQL to run on your PC if you are running NT4 or W2K
> (that's how I develop pgAdmin when I'm parked in front of the telly at home
> with my laptop!). You need to use the Cygwin package - there are
> instructions in the PostgreSQL tarball.

Are there any readily compiled windows NT versions to be
downloaded?

> Yes, pgAdmin does that (converts Access tables/indexes but *not* programs to
> PostgreSQL). I think a little clarification is needed here: pgAdmin is an
> admin/design tool for the PostgreSQL database system. PostgreSQL is *not*
> just a file like a simple Access database, it is a program that accepts and
> processes SQL queries and returns resultsets when appropriate. It has it's
> own data files that pgAdmin knows nothing about.
>
> Typically PostgreSQL will run on a server and accept connections from 1 or
> many (perhaps hundereds) of client programs (or people running the same
> program). pgAdmin is one such program that just happens to be designed to
> help manage and build your databases.

Thanks for the clarification, Dave.
That explains a lot of things!
And are there any database converters out there which can
convert windows based databases, especially Microsoft Access,
to PostgreSQL database readable files other than pgAdmin?