Re: [INTERFACES] Re: PHP and PostgreSQL

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Samplonius <tom(at)sdf(dot)com>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: PHP and PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-01-03 13:44:32
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:
[ . . . ]
> A general-purpose connection-reuse facility on the server end cannot
> eliminate these overheads, whereas it's trivial to avoid them within
> the context of a multi-threaded client.

PHP 4.04 does provide support for AOLServer now (which is multithreaded). I haven't had
time to play with it, and it moreover isn't certified for production use yet:

---------------------------------- snip ----------------------------------
NOTE: You should not use this module in production. PHP is not 100% stable
      yet in threaded mode. To increase reliability enable the Global Lock
      by removing #define NO_GLOBAL_LOCK in main/main.c. Also don't use
      php_value as it will lead to races in a sub-system (use an ini file
      instead).
(from the php/sapi/aolserver/README)

But it might be the way to go forward with the connection pooling issue. Maybe the PHP
people could use some help from the Postgres developers there? I think it has been pointed
out in the context of this thread that Apache, as a multi-process server, could not
properly handle connection pooling because it's not feasible to pool connections across
several Apache children (or was that the problem?).

Regards, Frank