Re: textcat() and ODBC driver

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: textcat() and ODBC driver
Date: 2000-12-27 16:38:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> The response I got was that the odbc code is not smart enough to nest
> textcat functions. A recent discovery ;) brings me to this question, Why
> is textcat being used? Why not just use the || operator? Unless there's
> something I don't know it seems to be a direct replacement for the &
> operator in Access/VB. Thoughts? Someone willing to change it?

There *may* be some translation in the ODBC driver to get from an ODBC
function call to textcat() (I haven't looked at it since last spring).
But I'm pretty sure that there is no "operator mapping" in the driver,
and that Access itself is converting from the (nonstandard) ampersand to
some function call. Have you tried forming the query with the SQL92 "||"
operator? Or is this some automatic query from Access which you cannot,
uh, access?

- Thomas