Re: Postgres 7 on IRIX

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Pete Forman <gsez020(at)kryten(dot)bedford(dot)waii(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 7 on IRIX
Date: 2000-08-18 13:58:56
Lists: pgsql-ports

Pete Forman wrote:

> Hernandez Alvarez Alfredo writes:
> > Thanks. I tried making a link from the cc to
> > /usr/freeware/bin/gcc... cant compile... I will try removing the mips
> > compiler...
>
> That won't help. Your problem is that configure has decided to use
> the MIPSpro compiler and set the CFLAGS for that. gcc doesn't grok
> them.
>
> Try making another template file, e.g. template/irix6_gcc. Merge
> template/irix5 and one or more of the _gcc templates. Then configure
> with
>
> ./configure --with-template=irix6_gcc
>
> For what it's worth I've just been building PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on IRIX
> 6.5.5m with the native MIPSpro 7.3 compilers. Both -n32 and -64
> versions have been tried. -o32 is obsolescent and was not considered.
> The -64 version gives 34 warnings about 64-bit pointers being stored
> in 32-bit integers. That makes whatever is built unsafe IMHO. How
> well does PostgreSQL build on Alpha and other 64-bit systems?

For 7.0.x, Alpha builds require patches, which would probably help you
also. Tom Lane has rewritten the function manager (fmgr) interface, and
these patches are not necessary in the current development tree. You
might want to try that since we are probably approaching the beta test
period.

> One worrying problem is that when optimized -O2 both -n32 and -64
> versions failed regression tests such as oidjoins...
> I have not investigated further. Compiling without optimization seems
> okay.

This is probably a symptom of the unpatched 64-bit build...

- Thomas